Saturday, April 19, 2008

I poisoned myself.

Of cuz it was unplanned. I know i said something about spicing up my uni life but not like this. definitely not!

The initial plan was to have a nice breakfast, go to the state lib, head down to victoria market and back home for lunch, den back to the lib and to the fashion show at night.

Plans are merely words.

What actually happened:

I woke up late and i decided to bake. So i went to get the missing ingredients and started baking. From the mixture, i knew the end product would not be great. Just like what i've told everyone, i cant produce the same things twice. The first time i made with that recipe, it turned out fabulous. And that was it. I should have learnt by now not to get too complacent... but o well.. today, i nearly dug my own grave.

I was suffering from "Baking Powder Overdose". Sounds ridiculous? But it really ain't funny. I was tormented. My tummy ached like crazy and i felt so weak and cold. I vomited but since i hardly had anything, there wasn't much coming out. For an hour or so (i din check the clock), i was just hoping that the pain would go away but it became more intense. Since the natural way of not-doing-anything didn't work, i asked my housemate for panadol. And that did not help either. Den she asked me if i wanted to take some kinda seed (Tamil name is called "vaitheyam") which is good for stomach ache. Almost instantaneously, i felt much better. In fact, i think i've recovered.

I suspected that i must have poisoned myself with the uncooked mixture... after chatting with my housemate, she told me that baking powder is not good on empty stomach. so i went online to check and this is wad i found.

Baking Powder Overdose

Definition: This is poisoning from an overdose of baking powder.

Alternative Names: Sodium bicarbonate
Poisonous Ingredient: Sodium bicarbonate is the main ingredient of baking powder, which is generally considered to be non-toxic.
Where Found: Baking powder
Note: This list may not be all inclusive.
Symptoms: Thirst, Abdominal pain, Nausea, Vomiting (severe), Diarrhea (severe)

Although it is not the first time i've tasted uncooked mixture but i guess i added more baking powder than usual. so i guess this must be it. If it's not this, i dun have any other explanation.

While i was battling the pain, many thoughts came to my mind. hahaha... and one of them was.. I'm so glad that i dun live alone. So much for wanting to live alone.. and my parents actually told me that i'm not suitable to do that. And i hate it when they are right about it. I cant really take care of myself huh..? haha... it been true. Throughout the past few years here, i do have a group of friends who always came to my rescue and i'm really thankful and grateful for them.

i guess the thought of staying alone and baking will be placed on halt, for now...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha what the hell. Anyway in the meantime you should just keep drinking water, hopefully it flushes the sodium bicarbonate out of your body. Should bring some common medicine with you next time, like those for diahroea, headaches, flu etc. Just out of curiousity, did you notice lots of gas coming out from your body? Apparantly sodium bicarbonate when react with the acid in your stomach releases carbon dioxide, wonder how they exit your body.

min* said...

apparently i had a very hard time getting those carbon dioxide out... but after i had the pills aka seeds, it became easier... hahaha... let's not go into too much details shall we.. hahahaa...

but seriously.. wat the hell.. hahaha

Poony said...

oh my gosh... are you feeling better? i hope you are. rest more and eat less baking powder. hahahaha... luckily anesha was around with her indian medicine. take care, babe...

Anonymous said...

Haha ok. Take care sia.

min* said...

yep. Thanks. I'm fine now. =)